The first step in the FTZ process is to select and complete the appropriate application, which you then must submit to the Foreign-Trade Zones Board in the U.S. Department of Commerce. Whether you’re designating a new FTZ site or modifying the boundaries of an existing FTZ, the application process can require extensive information and documentation regarding your site.
How PTSI Can Help
PTSI has the extensive experience necessary to help you choose and prepare the right zone application for your project. We work closely with your representative to gather the necessary data and approvals to submit the application. We then walk with you through each step to ensure the success of your FTZ application.
Our Application Services
- Coordinate with Grantee for sponsorship.
- Develop and prepare application for submission.
- Monitor application through FTZ Board process.
- Prepare responses to FTZ Board requests as needed.
- Coordinate with other governmental agencies.
- Participate in public hearings, if any.
Application Types We Handle
For both traditional and Alternative Site Framework (ASF):
- General purpose FTZ
- Reorganization under ASF
- Minor boundary modification(s)
Additional application types:
- Production authority
- Amendment or expansion of existing scope of authority
- Request for scope determination
Once your site has been granted zone status, local U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) officials must approve the FTZ site for activation before you can use it. Activation involves aligning your existing processes, documenting procedures, and good record keeping practices to CBP and compliance requirements.
PTSI has extensive experience activating zone sites. Our activation services include:
- Prepare activation request with special procedures.
- Assist with background investigations and site security inspections.
- Develop FTZ procedure manual.
- Advise on inventory control and recordkeeping system issues.
- Set up zone operation.
- Train employees in zone administration and operation.
- Educate employees regarding changes in corporate culture and operational processes.
Once the zone has been activated, we offer the following services:
- FTZ Administration: Provide support during start up or perform fulltime services.
- Spot Compliance Reviews: Perform or train in-house audit teams to perform on-site reviews.
- Zone Optimization: Help users make the most beneficial use of the zone, including streamlining transactions and reporting.